Sunday 30 September 2012

Razor Candi


This is Razor Candi and since I am a complete slacker I'm just going to post an interview which can be found here.

How did you get into modelling?

Technically I don’t like to describe myself as a model since I am not signed to an agency and I do my own styling, hair and makeup , I like think of myself as more of an artist. I took an interest to modeling at about age 15 or so but really started working more professionally with it at around 18. When I first started out my main focus wasn’t to become anyone, it was simply a leisure pursuit and to express myself. It was a fun way to capture all the time I put into my styling ideas. I had been posting my images and artwork online since ’99 but in 2003 with the Friendster and Myspace break out it was a break through. I started to get a lot of feedback on my work, I had photographers contacting me from all over, fan art and letters streaming in, it truly motivated me to keep creating new work, it was encouraging for me to know that I had reached out and moved these people, I gave them hope and courage to go out and be themselves and to feel better about themselves and this gave me desire and audacity to continue what I was doing.

What are your three best tips for aspiring models?

Be Yourself. Be Creative. Never expect anything.

What are the pitfalls of this business, what do you need to be aware of and avoid?

Gossip/Drama : try to steer clear of this, though at times it can be difficult and you will get sucked in without even wanting to.

Unprofessionalism : You will run into a lot of fakes who pretend to know what’s going on or who will lie just to selfishly gain something from you. 

Jealousy/Backhanded Comments : Negative Feedback is one thing, not everyone will like what you do and you will get people stating their opinions on what they think of a photo, it’s common in art, however you will also run into very backhanded, snide, patronizing comments that are often times the result of jealousy. These can get very frustrating because they are of no help toward perfecting the art but only there to bring you down.

Copycats : Though it is a bit of a hush hush topic, I don’t care who you are, people don’t like to have their work mimicked, copied, or impersonated without credit only to have them turn around and do the above stated pitfall! I know we are supposed to just pretend like it’s no big thing but it is really irritating to have your ideas replicated and turned into something ‘typical’ to the point that you just become a product. This will, unfortunately and unavoidably, always without fail, happen to you in the business.

These are my main peeves about the business, I know most don’t want to hear it but someone has got to say it.

Do you ever get sick of modelling?

All the time haha! But usually a break is just needed and I rediscover my passion.

If you weren't modelling, what would you be doing?

Painting, reading, I’ve recently taken quite an interest to more outdoor activities like hiking, mountain biking, and camping. I love educating myself and watching documentaries on science, politics, human and animal liberation etc.

What are your plans for the future? A lot of models seem to end up behind the camera when they have had enough of modelling, is photography something you would like to do?

I am interested in photography however I couldn’t see myself as a photographer, if anything I’d probably be a wardrobe stylist, makeup artist or hairstylist. I haven’t made any future plans, usually I just let things flow and happen naturally.

Have you noticed any differences in the modelling business in Europe versus the USA?


There is much less of a demand for it here, though it’s been three years since I live here so I’m beginning to meet the right people who are interested in working with alternative models.

How about the general goth scene, any differences there?

Pretty big difference. I’ve noticed a lot of the Goths are actually more like metal heads that’ve recently discovered goth so it’s only just developing. There aren’t any official goth clubs, only rock bars or goth nights here and there which also influences the scene a bit and keeps people from really being able to express themselves and become exposed to new sub cultures or even get to know one another within the scene. 

What do you miss about the USA, and are you ever going back?

What I miss about the USA is how much we American’s are pampered and spoiled. The occasional rendezvous at 3am to your local Wal-Mart, the stops at the 24 hour restaurants, and the freedom of looking completely crazy and by law knowing you are safe. Of course I miss my friends and family the most, but I’ve come to really enjoy the time I’ve spent in Romania because I’ve learned a lot about the brainwashing and consumerism of the American people, only to realize I was but one of those sheep that followed the herd with my Wal-Mart visits, consumption of franchised fast food and taking advantage of the fact that I can leave the house with a 10” Mohawk and 8” platforms. I think it would be hard to readjust to the American way of life, knowing that we are all being dumbed down by the media to keep us ignorant to the torment of the rest of the planet, I can’t go back to being another American product, but if I move back to the States I will be sure to appreciate every last moment of freedom rather than be ignorant to it by dumbing myself with iphones, television, facebook and all the miracles of consumer America! Fuck Yeah!

What's happening in your life right now?

Right now? Not much. Same ‘ol stuff really. Making photos from time to time, collecting ink, and enjoying every moment I have with my husband. 

A big thank you to the lovely Razor Candi for letting us interview her!


No comments:

Post a Comment